Tuesday 24 March 2009

Monday (Day 2)

Two words sum up today - "bloody awful". In fact "bloody disaster" would be a better summary and Alan, my instructor, must be wishing he was back home in Saudi after today's woeful efforts at trying to control a wing on the ground. After a few disastrous attempts at a forward launch I finally got one right, so it was on to the reverse launch where things went rapidly downhill. For whatever reason my co-ordination went to pieces and although I could marginally achieve the simple things, such as building a wall prior to launching, keeping the wing in the air was beyond me.

After a bit of foot stamping, a girlie tantrum aimed at myself and a bit of lunch we returned for the afternoon session, well four of us did. The second lunch sitting disappeared never to be seen again, leaving the four of us to guard a collection of motors, wings and other kit for three hours whilst they dined and had a siesta. Lovely.... In the end we returned to the farmhouse to do a bit of ground school as the winds were far too strong for any work outside.

Good news of the day was that Eddie, on of the trainees, managed to get in the air. Ok he's a Londoner AND Chelsea supporter, but we forgave him and were pleased he managed to make a few circuits and get safely down again.

All in all a day to forget for me, but still a nice day out in the fresh air and not in the office.

Onwards and upwards they say.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Neil - sounds stressful to me...

    Keep going for it - make the most of it..

    Sounds like learning to relax may be order of the day... I really wish I was there... we'd have had the whole "fluid-dynamics" thing mapped out and even maybe some simulation tools to teach us how to react to the dynamics of the wing....

    Bets you're in the air soon...

    Have fun...

    ReplyDelete